Thursday, January 26, 2017

Moving Forward With a Heart of Love

I've been thinking a lot about the past election and some of the things I have seen during the past few months. Since Monday I have regretted including one line in my last blog and I hope you will forgive me. There are a lot of hurting people in the United States right now and I am sure that is one reason for the unrest and various demonstrations. People are bitter and angry. I don't remember other elections being this divisive. I have tried not to comment on Facebook posts that upset me, but I have 'liked' some other posts that I agreed with.

I'm tired of the pokes and jabs at others and I wish we all could just stop with the comments that tend to irritate and prolong the division. I'm speaking to myself as well. Politics is very emotional and to discuss it cuts to the very core values we possess as individuals. Often we disagree. I'm ready to move on, away from the hurt feelings, the anger and the untruths. I'm going to try harder to focus on loving others as I should.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35 NIV).

Don't you just love it when God puts something in front of you and it is exactly what you needed to read or hear! He just did that for me. I paused in my writing and decided (ha) to read today's passage from "Jesus Calling". Sarah Young says, "Instead of seeking perfection in this fallen world, pour your energy into seeking Me (Jesus): the Perfect One." If you have "Jesus Calling" I encourage you to read the devotion for January 26.

God's love in our hearts changes everything about us. It softens even the most brash comment. It makes you feel like smiling again. Everything is hugged by a rainbow of light. Hope returns and God's promise of peace in eternal life with Him is enough to see us through the toughest day.

"Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man. 7 He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord" (Psalm 112:4, 7 NIV).

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33 NIV).

Thank you, God, for giving us truth to believe in. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment