Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Quick Fix

I can be pretty stupid sometimes. At my ripe old age you would think I would be getting wiser. But I guess I always hold out a little hope for: the magical, the easy way out, the quick fix, the big lottery win, the overnight healing, the handsome prince, and the happy-ever-after ending.

I know many advertisements that sound too good to be true are exactly that, but it seems like promoters pull out all the stops and tell you everything you want to hear. I will ignore hundreds of crazy wacko ads, then one day I read the words that target me in a weak moment when I'm desperate for that quick fix and it reels me in. Before my rational brain kicks in, I send off my $5 for a 'free' sample of the guaranteed weight loss tablet. I know perfectly well that there is no pill out there that will remove my belly fat over night. There is no magic potion that will turn my fine hair into a luxuriously thick and silky mane.

It is the same with my spiritual life, I'm afraid. I talk to God, telling Him my very specific needs, repeating my petitions, day after day, knowing God is listening and trusting Him to answer me. But sometimes the response doesn't seem to come.  I have received answered prayer often enough that I believe God works miracles. I know that answers take time. Sometimes a very long time so I have to be patient. And sometimes God's answers just aren't the same as mine.

But Satan uses those times and doubt creeps in. I begin to believe that I don't deserve an answer from God. That I'm not good enough to receive a blessing. Maybe God didn't really forgive me and He is holding back His love from me...I'm not worthy of His mercy. There is no quick fix in the plan for me!

"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:13-16 NIV).

Forgive me, Lord, for letting my faith sag and for trusting in the false things of this world, instead of You. I know You alone hear my prayers and that You are more than capable of providing a quick fix for whatever my need is today. I thank you for hearing my prayers and for answering them in Your will. For You alone are good, Father. In You alone I trust. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment