Monday, February 6, 2017

Do I Thrive Or Just Survive?

Do you wake up on Monday morning ready to face the world with a smile and the energy of a 3-year-old? I picture Mary Tyler Moore twirling down her city street dressed in confidence and joy; eager to arrive at work and make the day better for everyone around her. I can almost hear her theme song playing in the background.

That is a lot different from this morning's internal groaning as I struggled to get out of bed and shuffled into the bathroom. It is a world away from the days when I was working. Though I might have been tired, I arose with a certain excitement about the day. I wanted to do the best job I could, accomplish as much as I could, meet as many demands as I could, and do it in the best way possible. Those days led to a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment by day's end.

Yesterday the words of the Casting Crowns' song, "Thrive" spoke to me more than ever before. "We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives. It's time for us to more than just survive. We were made to thrive!"

So I just threw the last load of laundry in the washer, folded the whites, and put the darks in the dryer. The bed is made and the garbage is out. I still have a list of things to complete today, including some writing projects, some Bible study, dry cleaning to pick up, and ironing to do. But it doesn't seem worthy of the time God has given me. Most days, I'm afraid I just survive. Today I pray that God uses every action and task for His good. Even if my day is filled only with the routine and the mundane, God can use me for good, I pray.

"May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen" (Hebrews 13:20-21 NIV).




No comments:

Post a Comment