Monday, February 27, 2017

My Mind is Swirling

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation if my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14 NIV).

I can't seem to focus on anything today. I often have trouble deciding on a topic for this blog. I always ask for God's direction and He provides. But, today my personal thoughts keep banging around and getting in the way of what God wants me to hear.

We had a very busy and emotional weekend. We watched two of our granddaughters play four basketball games on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. It was the season end and it was fun to see how much they have grown and improved with their skills. The last game on Sunday was a heartbreaker of sorts. Payton's team played a tall, rugged team and they lost by two points. It was a defensive battle and the other team was very physical and the referees weren't calling fouls and Payton's girl elbowed my sweet granddaughter and grandpa wasn't happy. Anyway, we were really proud of the girls' determination and skills all through the game.

On Saturday night we had a fundraiser for our church's new sanctuary. We didn't know if we would get a good turnout and so many of our church folks worked so hard at getting donations for a silent auction, spreading the word, and showing up to set up and help. We had so much fun fellowshipping together, enjoying the music of Sheltered Reality, exchanging in light-hearted bid wars and thanking folks from the community for coming to support us. We raised $4,462 after expenses! That was just an awesome boost toward our challenging financial goal.

Yesterday we had a congregational vote after worship that was very emotional. Our building committee has worked really hard for nearly two years to provide two proposals for the new sanctuary. The congregation voted overwhelmingly to continue the fundraising until we have enough money that we only need to borrow $150,000 or less. There is nothing I want more than to see a new sanctuary standing amid the oak trees in rural Liscomb, Iowa. This is my home church and it always will be. I want God to grow our church while still maintaining its welcoming family of love and caring.

The challenges of an aging congregation (me), a limited access to residences in a close location to the church, and limited finances of the congregation members can all be overcome by God. Our job is to stay unified as the body of Christ so we can draw others to join our family of faith. We have a lot to give; there is a lot of love to be shared. The road ahead of us is not rocky and steep. It is a straight and narrow path set out by God, our Father.

"I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name" (Isaiah 45:2-3 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment