Thursday, February 16, 2017

Reflecting Christ

Sometimes I forget how old I am. Do you ever do that? In my head I'm still a 40-year-old, full of energy, filling every minute of every day with busyness and checking off item after item of my "To Do" list, ending each day with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction as I fall into bed exhausted.

Unfortunately, I am quickly reminded of my age when I move any part of my body or take a look in the mirror. Sometimes I am surprised by what I see. When I'm at the grocery store I think I'm still that 40-year-old and I think that is what people see. But, no, people see the real me as I am today. Yet, what they see isn't the complete story is it? I need to be reflecting Jesus in every moment.

So what does that mean? Is it someone with a smile who looks happy all the time? Radiating joy as she walks down the canned food aisle? That isn't me, I'm afraid. If I carried a mirror with me I would probably see a reflection that looks glum. Glum is moody, melancholy, and dejected according to The American Heritage Dictionary. That sounds about right.

I can smile. I know I smile a lot when I'm with my grandchildren. I can respond with a smile quite easily, but when it is just me I don't really smile very much. So is that a deal breaker? Am I automatically off the team because I don't smile enough? I wonder if Jesus smiled a lot. I guess I don't picture Him smiling, yet I see a radiance of warmth, compassion, and love glowing from His presence. What do you think? Did Jesus smile?

Can I reflect Jesus in me without smiling? Will people still see Jesus in me if I look glum? I need to work on this I believe. I want to be a reflection of Christ to others. Paul told believers in 1 Corinthians 4:16 to imitate his life, that was modeled after Jesus Christ. Do my actions reflect Jesus better than my facial expression? Is Jesus reflected through what I write in this blog? I wonder.

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does" (James 1:22-25 NIV).

Lord, help me to imitate your life through all that I say and do. Help me to remember what I look like in the mirror - let it be a reflection of You.



No comments:

Post a Comment