Monday, March 27, 2017

Feed My Sheep

During my lifetime as a shepherd's wife I was asked to "Feed my sheep" several times. Besides the long walk down the hill and back usually at sunrise and sunset, the chores rarely took much time out of my day. It seems like yesterday that I'd enter the quiet barn to hear the lambs welcome me with their baaing. The sound spread through the barn from pen to pen as the sheep realized their 'feeder' person had arrived. Sometimes the mamas outside would see me coming and begin the singing response as a chorus that was followed by a stampede to the shed - single file, following the already worn path through the pasture.

The replacement chore person could please the hungry sheep with a few scoops of feed, a handful of hay and filling the water pail. But, the important part was paying attention to the animals. Did one stay off in the corner and not come to the trough? That one was probably sick. Did the littlest lamb get room at the feeder or get pushed away? Did both babies know how to suck and have milk in their bellies? Did a sheep lag behind or limp? Probably hurt her foot - better tell the shepherd. He would know what to do. As the substitute I could fill in for a day or two, but to really care for the sheep I had to spend more time learning the traits of each sheep and watching for changes. It was important to really know the sheep and care for their specific needs.

"When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, " you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep." (John 21:15-17 NIV).

When I agreed to do the sheep chores I was committing to do more than dump feed in the trough and fill the water bucket. I got into old clothes and boots because I knew I would get dirty and smelly. I had to allow time to take a shower afterward to get the smell out of my hair. I was careful to follow the specific directions for each pen or I could mess up the master feeding plan for the show lambs' progress toward fair readiness. It was a big responsibility to keep each lamb healthy and strong until the shepherd came home. And, heaven forbid a lamb would die on my watch.

Jesus came to the disciples for this last time after His resurrection and was asking Peter to continue His legacy once He was gone. Peter was only beginning to understand what Jesus was talking about. Was Peter really willing to dedicate his life to service, spreading the knowledge of Salvation through Jesus Christ to the world - for the rest of his life?

What is Jesus asking you today? Are there sheep to be fed in your life? What can you do today that brings Jesus closer to someone else, that allows someone to see Jesus through you?

Jesus is asking, "Do you love me, (your name)? Feed my sheep."


No comments:

Post a Comment