Thursday, March 2, 2017

Sharing the Hope

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good" (Titus 2:11-14 NIV).

I have been giving blood for many years, starting back when I was a student at Marshalltown Community College. The Phi Theta Kappa sponsored blood drives each year in the MCC cafeteria. It is one way I can do something good for the community as a volunteer. My hemoglobin often runs low so sometimes I am not able to give. That leaves me feeling disappointed. I come home and take iron for the next ten days then usually I am able to give again. That makes me feel good.

Isn't that the way it is, though? When we do something for someone else that is genuinely motivated from love and care, it makes us feel good. Almost to the point of feeling better than the one who received the gift of caring.

I am overwhelmed by the kindnesses individuals show to others. For a long time I kept a folder called "encouragements". This goes back way before I went to college, back to when I only dreamed of being a writer. When someone sent me a note of encouragement regarding my writing, I would file it so I could refer back to it on the days when I was knee-deep in rejection letters or depression. Those comments by friends or family kept my hope alive until I was strong enough to actually seek out a job and pursue my education.

Hope can be a lifesaver. Without it life becomes too difficult to continue. Who around you needs the gift of hope today? A kind word? A loving hug? An understanding ear? Reach out to them today and share the hope you have in our Savior, Jesus Christ.

"If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand" (Psalm 37:23-24 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment