Monday, March 20, 2017

Welcome Spring

It is official today; spring is here. Our days are getting longer with more daylight. The sun is moving closer to us so the warmth can begin to return. The earth will thaw from its long winter's sleep and awaken the roots that reach deep into the soil. Life returns to the trees and flowers and the bulbs burst open with beautiful green sprouts.

I'm anxious to explore our yard to look for signs of spring. We planted several new plants last fall and I'm hoping they made it through the dry winter. The branches on our new tree in the front yard are beginning to show little bumps where buds will appear. Bunches of tulip leaves have already burst forth on a hillside we drive by and I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have buds ready to open.

One of my favorite early signs of spring was the pussy willow tree. We had one in our yard years ago and we loved to bring in a clipping of branches to put in water and watch the fuzzy buds appear. Little gray balls of fluff would explode along the brown stems and tiny blooms of yellow would follow.

"Blessed is the man who is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers" (Psalm 1:3 NIV).

Spring is a season of refreshing. All that is gray and dingy begins to turn green and is ready for the April showers to wash away the winter's sand and grime.

I need some refreshing, too. I want to be like the tree planted by streams of water. I want to stretch out my arms and legs and breathe in the fresh clean air after a rain shower. I want to yield fruit that will glorify my Heavenly Father. I want to grow strong leaves that do not wither in the storms of life. I want to use my knowledge from God's Word to make decisions that will be pleasing to God. I want to use my life to prosper others and fulfill God's will in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment