Monday, April 3, 2017

Family Matters

Jesus cared about family. Pastor Scott shared a message yesterday about the importance Jesus put on family. From the cross, Jesus made provision for the care of His mother Mary, by John, the disciple Jesus loved. We are to do the same with our own families. Our congregation was challenged to use this week to pray for our family. We are to take time to find one thing to focus on in our family and pray for that all week.

Sometimes it is easy to pick one thing to pray about in my family. There are times when one huge issue burdens my heart. It weighs heavy and it is the only thing I can think and pray about. Other times I may have something to pray about for every person in my family. As with most grandparents, there is always a burden to pray for my grandchildren to develop a relationship with Christ. I have prayed so often for God to place good believers in my grandchildren's lives so they can grow in faith and belief, even when they are away from home.

"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates" (Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NIV).

God expects us to remember His commandments and to share them with our families. He expects us to live a life of faith that is evident whenever others are around us and when we are alone with Him. God wants our faith to be a family faith that lives and grows for generations. That is what I want for my family, too. I want the faith of my forefathers and especially of my father and mother to spread deeply from their children into their grandchildren, great grandchildren, great-great grandchildren, and beyond.

Lord, hear our prayers today for our families; for the big needs of healing and decision-making in regard to our family members; for the request for Your presence with those who are hurting and suffering; for the gift of friends and influencers in our family members' lives so they can be drawn closer to You to experience Your goodness and love wherever they go. And Lord, help me be a glowing light of Your love to each member of my family. Thank you, God, because my family matters to me and to You. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment