Monday, June 12, 2017

Our Sun and Shield

It is apparent that Iowa's summer is beginning a little early this year. With 100 degrees predicted this week, the sun is at its peak power overhead, even though the official arrival of summer is over a week away. It is time to get out the sun screen, locate the nearest swimming pool and dive in.

I've watched as the culminating heat has turned the area's grass from green to brown and the potted plants turn limp and wither as the morning light becomes intrepid. Only a cool shower from the garden hose or the blessing of afternoon shade will revive them and keep them alive.

The sun is necessary for life on Earth. Yet, too much sun can destroy life. We also need the shade to shelter us from harm. Only God can be both the sun and the shield.

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless," (Psalm 84: 10-11 NIV).

Although a "blameless walk" seems impossible to my sinful self, I know that God will see my efforts toward good and forgive my sins when I repent and kneel before Him.

Today, as you seek shelter from the hot sun; be it a shadow, air conditioning, or a cool pool, remember it is God's shield that protects you from all harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment