Thursday, June 29, 2017

Quenching My Thirst

Wednesdays are my house plant watering day. I have five plants scattered around the house, bringing me joy whenever I see them. One is in the kitchen, two are in my laundry room near a north window, and two are in my office. Sitting on my desk is a prayer plant (not sure what its official name is). By Tuesday evening it looks like the last flower of summer, limp and slumped, like my curled bangs on a hot humid day.

"I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint," (Psalms 22:14 NIV).

I know that feeling. Sometimes I feel like that wilted plant. I'm tired, without ambition and melancholy about life. My body aches and all I want to do is lie down. Just like my plants I need refreshment. Sometimes I give in to my laziness but I know what helps me revive, so I turn to the Scriptures to gain a new perspective and a new attitude.

"He will be like rain falling on a mown field, like showers watering the earth," (Psalm 72:6 NIV).

Yesterday was one of those melancholy days. My back was really hurting and I was in the dumps about having to wait for insurance approval before moving forward with a pain relief treatment. I wasn't sure if I could handle walking my four mile path but I wanted to. So I headed out the door, telling myself I could take the shorter trail if I hurt too much. I reached the shortcut road and kept going. If I reached the halfway point I'd have no choice but to keep walking home. The last half mile is up a gradual hill and it was getting really hot, but I kept walking and made it home.

I'm always amazed at the natural beauty that God puts on my path, even in this city environment. Ankeny seems to be big on natural plantings and putting in ponds. Both draw in birds and butterflies and create beauty. Nature distracts me from the pain and helps me focus on God. His voice begins to ground out my inner moaning and replace it with joy.

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness," (Colossians 2:6 NIV).

Thank you, Jesus, for your thirst-quenching presence in our lives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment