Monday, July 24, 2017

A Summer Slump

I think I've hit a summer slump. Perhaps last week's high temperatures had something to do with it, but I didn't accomplish much. I'm tired. I wanted to stay in bed this morning but here I am trying to write an inspirational blog when I'm the one who needs inspiration.

"Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!" (Psalm 66:16-20 NIV)

A change of focus is definitely what I needed. I always need to keep my eyes on Jesus. Whenever I drop my eyes to myself I get surrounded by my imperfections and my attitude is clouded by grayness. But when I think about all that Jesus did for me and how much He loves me, I am lifted up in Spirit and I can see the good that He places in my life.

We are blessed by cooler temperatures that moved in last night. The humidity is lower and it feels so refreshing after a week of stifling heat. God heard our cries for rain and we received a great shower Thursday night and Friday morning. The sunrises and sunsets have been beautiful. The fields of corn are tasseling and the soybeans look lush and green as you look across the landscape. The rare fields of oats are turning golden and the hay fields have been made into bales. What a beautiful time of year!

Though I'm challenged to keep my focus on Jesus, He makes it easier to see the blessings of life when I'm concentrating on Him. The precious time I spent with grandchildren this weekend, seeing their amazing talents and training, and soaking up the love from the little ones who still sit close by and cuddle. Watching the wonder of children who are mesmerized by a piece of paper, scissors and tape during a long sheep show. Noticing the beautiful structure of a carefully coiffed lamb that is set up perfectly for the judge. Watching a young boy fall to the ground, as he refuses to let his lamb get away and hearing the crowd clap in appreciation for his determination.

Everywhere I look are blessings that speak of God's greatness and presence in my life. May you, too, feel His loving presence today, and experience His generous gift of relationship through His Son. Goodbye, summer slump.












No comments:

Post a Comment