Monday, October 30, 2017

Disappointments and Heartbreaks Happen

Life isn't all sunshine and birthday presents as we discovered yesterday. One grandchild celebrated a birthday with all the special accessories for a Star Wars theme. The excitement was building through dinner and the blowing of candles. It was time for the opening of presents. One younger child watched as the gifts were unwrapped until finally the desire was just too much. The child's face burst into tears against my shoulder, "I want to play with the new toys. I want it to be my birthday."

I remember feeling the same disappointment as I was growing up. As the youngest child I always compared myself to my sisters. I watched as they were talented singers, dressed up in pretty dresses and heels, dated, married, had babies and lived happy lives. I was left at home, without musical talent, and unsuccessful in school. I failed to find my own niche until much later in life, so for a long time I sulked in the shadow of disappointment.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit," (Psalm 34:18 NIV).

God always opens new doors for us when we are down in spirit and heartbroken, but we must get up and take action. It is important that we take advantage of the setbacks and use them to propel us forward into a new kind of success. Search for your passion then rush toward it with all your heart.

My passion for writing and one positive comment by a high school English teacher (that I stored in my heart for twenty years), led me to pursue a job at the local newspaper. I gained confidence that allowed me to begin college at age 40 and earn a degree in journalism and mass communication with academic honors.

If God can change my life from the pits of depression and self-hatred, He will help you change your life, too. Just trust in Him, believe in the power of Jesus Christ's salvation, and allow Him to lift you up to heights you would never dream possible.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10 NIV).

Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment