Thursday, October 19, 2017

Precious Words

I grew up in a small country church that was established by my ancestors in the timber along the Iowa River. My faith is rooted in the history and tradition of this church. One thing that I treasure is a prayer that my father's grandfather, Carey E. Arney, shared at the communion table as an elder. My father, Corwin Arney Springer, shared these same words when he was an elder. I cherish a handwritten copy of this prayer that I carry in my Bible:

"May the day be hastened when the knowledge and glory of the Lord, shall cover the whole earth as the waters do cover the sea."

This prayer is based on Isaiah 11:9 and Habakkuk 2:4; verses that are repeated in Galatians 3:11, Romans 1:17 and Hebrews 10:38. I grew up hearing this prayer hundreds of times, yet I am only beginning to experience its meaning through study. Perhaps this is common for Christians; to cherish a verse of scripture yet only vaguely understand its meaning. So this morning I set out to change that for myself on this special prayer. I went to scripture first.

"...for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea," (Isaiah 11:9b NIV).

"...but the righteous will live by his faith--" (Habakkuk 2:4b NIV).

"For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: 'The righteous will live by faith.'" (Romans 1:17 NIV).

"Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because 'The righteous will live by faith.'" (Galatians 3:11 NIV).

"He who is coming will come and will not delay. But my righteous one will live by faith" (Hebrews 10:38 NIV).

"May the day be hastened" must be the language of the early Christian pioneers, probably influenced by their Bible. 'Hastened' is used several times in scripture, though I couldn't find this exact phrase. I believe the prayer is asking God to hurry the time when the Word of God, and His knowledge and glory are spread across the whole earth, just as thoroughly as the waters cover the sea.

What a good prayer, even for today; no, especially for today. I long for the day when the gospel is spread wide through all continents, to every nation, every town and village, into every home, to every individual.

Lord, thank you for the knowledge of Your Word that we are given for today. Speak to us Your truth as we wait anxiously for the day when everyone knows Your Son and can experience His gift of salvation. Guide us today to those who don't know You yet. Let us be a reflection of Your love that warms their hearts and leads them to seek and know You. We pray in the name of Your Perfect Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment