Monday, October 23, 2017

Take The Time

Life is busy. We have alarm clocks and calendars to remind us what to do next. There are timers on our iPhones, on our stoves and microwaves, and pop up messages on our computers. We have Post-it notes to place where we need them and clocks in nearly every room and even wrapped around our wrists.

Our human days are filled with standing in line, "take a number", "have a seat", take turns, make an appointment, "please hold", "your wait time is approximately 23 minutes", "leave a message at the tone", "just a minute" and "I'll get back to you".

With God there is no "time's up", no final buzzer, no green light to move ahead, no end to our appointment, no running late, no closing time or office hours. We are blessed with God's presence whenever we need it. In fact, I am convicted of my busyness as I visualize Jesus sitting in my favorite quiet spot, waiting for me to take time to come sit with Him. He waits patiently for me but too often I find myself rushing past the door, ignoring His beckoning call, missing out on the best moment of my day.

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me," (Revelation 3:20 NIV).

This image of Jesus anxiously waiting for me to take time to sit with Him was impressed on me while one of my Bible study groups worked through Joanna Weaver's book, "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World". Weaver introduced me to the idea that my quiet, worship time with Jesus is as precious to God as it is to me. I'd never thought about it that way before. That concept sticks with me, saddens me, and humbles me to the core.

I don't want to leave Jesus sitting alone in that chair, waiting for me to come. I want to be there soaking up all the love and attention He has for me. I want to hear what He wants to tell me. I want to gain the wisdom He wants to share with me. I want to feel His tender touch and look into His beautiful eyes and understand.

Joanna Weaver spelled out a clear formula for having true intimacy with God in chapter five of "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World":

PRAYER + the WORD + TIME = INTIMACY with GOD - Joanna Weaver. 

I'm going to post this formula where I will be reminded of it often. I desire that intimacy with God and I am so thankful that He is accessible to me always.

Today I will take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment