Thursday, November 30, 2017

Goodbye, November

Where did November go? I'm in awe of how fast time goes by as I get older. I've also come to realize that I waste way too much time. So as we prepare to enter a new month I feel over-stressed by the things that should get done. How was it that I was able to get ready for Christmas when I was working lots of hours?

I'm swallowed up in a to-do list that only I think is important. I have a pile of unwritten Christmas cards, addressed and stamped. My office and our closet are heaped with boxes and bags of gifts that wait to be wrapped. There are three red and green tubs in the middle of our living room, calling for me to take out the decorations and set up my nativity collection. John even put up the outside lights and our shepherd and sheep display for me. One of the first times ever that I didn't do it.

Even the preparations and Thanksgiving didn't feel right this year. I needed time with family all seated around me telling of their busy lives and sharing what is important to them. Instead I feel overcome and rushed by the details.

All of a sudden I feel the same sadness that clouded the Christmases of the past. It came rushing back as if it never left. How can that be? I'm missing my mother and father; I'm angry with myself for not making time to call my sister; I'm missing my childhood church and church family; I'm missing what can't be ever again.

I'm tired of hearing about the mess our country is in; the big mess. I  wonder what in the world we have done to our country and what our grandchildren will inherit. There are missiles flying overhead and elected officials fighting and men degrading women in the news.

Instead of focusing on the important stuff: the scriptures that remind me of how Christ came to this earth, and all the prophesies that He fulfilled; and the wonderful truth that must be told in this season.

"I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear," (2 Timothy 4:1b-3 NIV).

Goodbye, November. I'm sad to see you go. Hello, December. Bring us news of a new baby born in Bethlehem, coming to save the world.

Oh, Lord, how badly we need Your good news. Heal us with Your nail-pierced hands. Love us with Your gracious heart. Guide us with Your living Word, each day; we pray. Amen.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment