Thursday, November 2, 2017

Practice Being Thankful

November is a month for giving thanks and what better time to count your blessings and start a gratitude journal. Several years ago my Bible study group read Ann Voskamp's book, "One Thousand Gifts" where she was challenged by a friend to write a list of one thousand blessings. We, too, began our own lists of blessings or gifts that we were thankful for. I started my list in January 2012 and continued it through our study and occasionally beyond. Mine surpassed 1000 and it is at 1,145 today with room to continue in my composition book.

I think I will continue my list this month. Voskamp introduced me to the word Eucharisteo which means thanksgiving. Jesus initiated the Eucharist, the Christian symbol of remembering Jesus' body and blood that was given for our sins so we could freely come to God in a personal relationship. How can we reflect on this greatest gift, given for our salvation, without being thankful?

David wrote in a psalm of thanks: "Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done," (1 Chronicles 16:8 NIV). My Life Application Study Bible says this song offers four elements that are common to thanksgiving: 1 - Remember what God has done for you. 2 - Tell others what God has done for you. 3 - Show God's glory to others. 4 - Offering your gifts to others. If we are truly thankful, others will notice it in our lives.

Another interesting correlation Voskamp makes with thanksgiving is that throughout the Bible, thanksgiving always preceded a miracle. One example is the miracle of Jesus raising Lazarus from death in John 11:41-44 NIV: "So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me." When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go.""

It is a good practice, to practice giving thanks. And November is a good month to begin. What are you thankful for today? Write down three things you are thankful for right now. I am thankful for my husband, the fragrance of leftovers being warmed in the microwave, and for God's guidance in writing this blog. I never really know what I am going to write about until I pray for God's direction.

Thank you, Lord, for being our God, for loving us so much that you sent your Son Jesus Christ to be our Savior. Fill our hearts today with gratitude for the many blessings you have placed in our lives. Open our eyes and ears to be alert and aware of just how many ways you bless our days. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment