Monday, November 13, 2017

Thankful for God's Word

Today I am reminded of an image of my Grandmother Springer sitting at her desk with her Bible and her journal. I have that white, King James Version Bible on my bookshelf. Grandma has a notation inside that she purchased the Bible at a book sale at church and that "it goes to Gloria," dated Nov. 25, 1970. Though I don't use it, I pulled it out today to see if, by chance, she had any markings in Psalm 119. She did not, however, she had marked with parenthesis Psalm 118:29, the verse just ahead  of 119. "O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever," (KJV). Perfectly appropriate for this blog.

"I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word," (Psalm 119:15-16 NIV).

I have nearly 20 Bibles on that book shelf in numerous versions that I have studied through the years. I always have mixed emotions when I switch to a new Bible because I lose whatever notations I've made in the previous version. It would be fun to be able to compare them all and see what scriptures stood out to me at different times in my life.

"Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart. Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word," (Psalm 119:33-37 NIV).

I grew up using a Revised Standard translation, and in youth group we used a Good News For Modern Man New Testament. Then I received a Living Bible translation that I used when I first joined a neighborhood Bible study group as a young adult.

"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103 NIV).

In 1993 I switched to a red-letter edition, NIV Women's Devotional Bible that is very well used. In 1997, I got The New Oxford Annotated Bible NRSV. I believe this was purchased for a college course I was taking and when I got to Iowa State, one of my religion courses required using the same Bible only with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books, so I had to get another. The second Bible shows lots of wear and reflection through many of the books.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path," (Psalm 119:105 NIV).

In 2006 I purchased a Life Application Study Bible NIV, and I have read it through twice and used it for many different studies. It is the one I use now.

"Your word, O Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures," (Psalm 119:89-90 NIV).

No matter which Bible I use, the Word speaks to me as a message from God. I love that God's Word will stand for generations. I am so thankful that the Word of God connects me to my Heavenly Father and provides me wisdom and guidance for every day of my life.

"May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees. May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous. May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts. I long for your salvation, O Lord, and your law is my delight," (Psalm 119:171-174 NIV).

May the Word of God speak to you today and guide you and bless you all the days of your life.

Thank you, Lord, for your Word. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment