Monday, November 6, 2017

Thankful for Music

I added thirty items of thanksgiving to my notebook list of blessings since my blog on Thursday. There is so much that I tend to take for granted in this life. Journaling my blessings helps me develop a mindset of thankfulness. I'm so glad I started this practice again during this Thanksgiving month.

Yesterday at church I was reminded how much I am touched by Christian music. The worship and praise team led us in several of my favorite songs. The words were so uplifting and beautiful. I was especially touched by the song O Come to the Altar by Elevation Worship. The words state a message I wish I could share with everyone I meet. The words lead the hearer to Jesus. Let me share just a few stanzas:

O Come to the Altar
Are you hurting and broken within? Overwhelmed by the weight of your sin? Jesus is calling. Have you come to the end of yourself? Do you thirst for a drink from the well? Jesus is calling. O come to the altar. The Father's arms are open wide. Forgiveness was bought with the precious blood of Jesus Christ. Leave behind your regrets and mistakes. Come today there's no reason to wait. Jesus is calling. Bring your sorrows and trade them for joy. From the ashes a new life is born. Jesus is calling. By songwriters: Christopher Brown / Wade Joye / Steven Furtick / Mack Brock.

I just love the promises given in this song. They are the promises revealed in scripture about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and what He alone has done for us. For me and you! What a blessing and gift it is for someone to be able to put together the words and music and create such a beautiful message! I am so often amazed. I even have chills or goosebumps when I listen to the gift that God has given the author and musicians.

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness," (Colossians 2:6-7 NIV).

One modern song that touches me especially during the Thanksgiving season is simply called, "Give Thanks" by Don Moen. This song states so simply the life as we should live it: thankfully. I will close with some of the stanzas and if you know it, may it repeatedly run through your mind all day long.

Give Thanks
Give thanks with a grateful heart, Give thanks to the Holy One, Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son. And now let the weak say, "I am strong". Let the poor say, "I am rich because of what the Lord has done for us". Give thanks. We give thanks to You." By songwriters: Kenneth Paul Barker / Andy Cloninger / Clairer D. Cloninger / Henry Smith.

We give thanks. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment