Monday, January 8, 2018

Jesus Turns Thirty

What were you doing when you turned 30 years old? For me, 30 was a devastating birthday. While I watched my friends and acquaintances with their college degrees and successful careers, I hit that glowing number and felt like a real loser. I was in a deep depression because I felt I had nothing to show for my 30 years, except my two sons and a solid marriage. I know, I know, those are wonderful life treasures, but I was selfishly thinking about 'me' and what a failure I had become. The magic number of 30 arrived and I had not.

The Bible quickly skips through Jesus' life following His Holy birth in Bethlehem. We are shown only two instances in His childhood when Jesus is taken to the temple to be consecrated to the Lord, and again when His parents took him to Jerusalem for Passover and Jesus stays behind, studying  with the teachers in the temple courts. At age 12, Jesus was already showing a unparalleled understanding of the scriptures - far beyond a normal pre-teenager.

For 18 years we have no description of Jesus' life in the scriptures but that all changes when Jesus is baptized by John. "And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased," (Luke 3:21b-22 NIV).

Jesus patiently waited for His time, as determined and revealed by God. I wasn't so patient when I was 30. It was nearly 10 more years before God opened the doors for me to pursue the college education that I so desired. Then He opened the door for me to have a career in writing that I longed for. God has blessed me beyond measure.

"Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!" (Isaiah 30:18 NIV).

So what are you waiting for today? Have patience - for God will give you the desires of your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment