Thursday, January 18, 2018

Renew Your Mind

With a new year rolling right along to the middle of the first month, I feel like I have catching up to do already. I talked about the time element on Monday but I found a couple of verses that spoke profoundly to me about renewing my mind. Isn't this a good time to contemplate how I look at living? What shapes and molds my thoughts? It is a good time to renew my mind.

What goes into my mind every day is probably such a vast amount I wouldn't believe it if God sent
Amarylis Week 3
me a print-out. Consider the conversations I hear, the TV I watch (okay, I probably shouldn't be watching Criminal Minds...), the Facebook entries I see, and the books I read. You could probably add the music I listen to, or the video games you play.

Are you getting the highest grade of fuel for your brain? Is it octane, unleaded, ethanol blend, or super premium? Lately, some of the Facebook postings have been diesel - gummy, jelled-up Iowa winter diesel.

I noticed those negative or even worse - profane posts were ruining my mind fuel. And all the miracle-promising ads, targeting me and my desires, were leaving me tempted and angry. So, I took a hiatus from Facebook. Not 100% but reading only the posts from friends who share my mindset.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will," (Romans 12:1-2 NIV)

Or as Paul writes in Ephesians: "...to be made new in the attitude of your minds," (Ephesians 4:23 NIV).

If your mind needs a little renewing, as mine does, I'd suggest heading directly to the Bible. Anything you read there will be blessed by God. His Word is sweet refreshment for the brain. You'll find hope! And encouragement! Promises meant for you and truth that no one can deny! It is my rock solid foundation where I am always sure-footed.

"Finally, brothers (and sisters), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things," (Philippians 4:8 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment