Monday, January 15, 2018

Time, Time, Time

It is January 15, 2018. Here I sit, feeling a little overwhelmed about everything I have on my plate. How can that be - I am retired. Tired, yes. Yet, I am feeling better about myself as I strive forward on my journey to grow in Christ.

By the end of the month I will be doing three Bible studies. It doesn't sound so bad as I write it, but the stack of three books and the study questions looks like a lot of concentrated study time. That's a good thing for my soul and my faith life - but there are other things to do, too. We are checking out a fitness center that has water aerobics so I've been trying to do that everyday of the free trial. That is good for my body. I have my first editing project arriving in a few days. And I have blogs to write. That is good for my mind to practice and use my knowledge of English and writing to help another writer and hopefully, my readers.

I also have a house to clean; prayers to pray; clothes to wash; snow to shovel (probably not, John does that - thankfully), a quilt to start and make; garbage to take out; bed to make; dishes to wash; ironing to do; pictures to take; grandchildren to love; letters to write; crosses to add to my wall of crosses; healthy meals to cook; Growth Group to host in February (I'll have to clean); sisters to call; groceries to shop for; plans to make; the Bible to read...

How did retirement get so busy? To be honest I rarely clean and several of those 'to-do's' will probably not get done. John would tell me to quit watching my soap opera (echoes of my mother). Even though I record it now so I can fit it into 45 minutes by skipping the ads?... I waste more hours watching television...my favorites may surprise you: Blue Bloods; Criminal Minds; The Voice; Fixer Upper; and the local and national news on KCCI. I browse through magazines and catalogues while I listen to TV - multitasking?

When I talk about time I instantly turn to Ecclesiastes. Solomon uses the first two chapters telling about things in his life that seem meaningless. It is an interesting read. But, I always turn to Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NIV to read what my Bible calls, Solomon's "general observations."

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace," (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NIV).

This was one of Mama's favorite scriptures and now is one of mine. The Byrds even used portions of this scripture in their song, "Turn, Turn, Turn".

Lord, help me use my time productively each day. Guide my actions so I am doing Your will for my life. I want to be more like Jesus every day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment