Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Bad Habits Die Hard

What is your worst bad habit? What bad habit have you changed? What bad habit is top on your list of changes to make?

It is nearing the end of February so if you made a resolution that you have kept since the first of January 2018, Congratulations! You are awesome. I believe every resolution I've made is far behind me now.

Many, many years ago my bad habit was biting my fingernails. I chewed on my nails and ripped and tore whatever white had grown out to nothingness. This started sometime in my childhood and kept going strong through junior high and into high school. I know I tried many things to stop, including some nasty tasting stuff that was supposed to repulse me. Eventually, the desire for attractive nails to polish became greater than whatever created the desire to bite my nails.

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness," (Ephesians 4:22-24 NIV).

Recently, I've struggled again to have nice fingernails. My nails started peeling and breaking at every turn. I've bulked up on nail strengthening vitamins and even though I'm also taking mega-doses of iron on doctor's orders, I still can't seem to get my nails to be strong or long.

This winter, I've also had the skin on my fingers crack at the edges of my nails so I started biting off the hard crusty corners that developed. This is so gross! I'm ashamed to even write about it. Just thinking of all the germs and crud that collect on my hand digits makes me cringe. I'm sorry.

So, I return to the scriptures for encouragement. Paul was writing about purity in the verses above. I so desire to keep that new attitude of my mind and to put on my new self that God created to be like him - truly righteous and holy.

I've got such a long way to go, not just with my fingernails. But especially being a loving and godly wife to my husband; supporting him in every way I can... Using my words to lift him up, not tear him down in any way... And may all my actions reflect Jesus in every way.

Lord, please install a sensor on my tongue so not a single word of criticism will escape through my lips. And while you've got my lips tightly shut - can you help me leave behind the finger biting, too? Most Gracious God, I give You my praise for ever and ever. Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment