Thursday, March 8, 2018

Make My Ears Tingle, Lord

As often happens, I started to write my blog this morning and I got distracted. I looked through some notes I had made about Bible verses that I could turn to in times of need, hoping something would jump out at me. Then I started making notes about good verses to use as I continued toward the cross in my blogs up to Resurrection morning. I now have topics and scriptures for most of my blogs through Easter but it's 10 am and I don't have a blog written for today.

I found a list of "Breath Prayers" - short prayers that can be said quickly, even memorized so they become automatic when needed. The prayers "Here I am Lord" and "Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening" touched my heart today. So often I pray, and I do all the talking. Today, I want Jesus to lean over and speak into my ears. I want to hear what He wants me to do, to say, to change. I want my whole body to quiver with the sound of His voice.

Can you imagine what it would be like to go to bed and hear God call to you, as he did to young Samuel?

"The Lord called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, "Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, 'Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening." and the Lord said to Samuel: "See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make the ears of everyone who hears of it tingle,"" (! Samuel 3:8-11 NIV).

What a wonderful moment! I long for Jesus to speak to me like that, yet if I am honest it would probably scare me to death. But, what a great way to go!

More frightening than that, is considering what my response would be to a personal Word from God. I desire to be like Isaiah who answered God's question,

""Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"" (Isaiah 6:8 NIV).

But, I am not confident that I could drop everything and follow as the disciples did. As Samuel did. As Isaiah did. Would I? Could I? Do I?

Lord, speak to me for I am listening, Lord. Show me the work you have for me to do. Whisper into my ears the role You have for me and I will follow You. Amen.

My ears will tingle with the Words of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment