Monday, March 12, 2018

The Wondrous Cross

I have a hymnal that my father used as choral director back in the 1970s. He used tic marks next to the hymn numbers to show how often he used the songs. I was reminded of the hymn, "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" as I chose the theme of today's blog. So I pulled out the hymnal and found this hymn had more tic marks than any other song, which kind of surprised me. Yet, perhaps that is an underlying reason I began to collect crosses for their artistic display and meaning that lies deep inside of me.

The cross represents Christ's love for me. I am just overwhelmed by His precious love and His ability to care for me, a sinner so unworthy. He died on that Cross for me. It just blows me away that Jesus would do that. Just think about how much love He held in His heart for us! To suffer the way He did for you and for me. And that He knew all along that He was headed for death on a cross. As the day of crucifixion drew near, Jesus tried to prepare His disciples.

"He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him... Then he (Jesus) called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it,'" (Mark 8:31-32, 34-35 NIV).

The Cross made the difference for me
"When I survey the wondrous cross, On which the Prince of glory died, My richest gain I count but loss, And pour contempt on all my pride. Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, Save in the death of Christ, my God; All the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to His blood. See, from His head, His hands, his feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down; Did e'er such love and sorrow meet, Or thorns compose so rich a crown? Were the whole realm of nature mine, That were a present far too small; Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul, my life, my all. Amen." (When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, written by Isaac Watts in 1707).

Such rich and descriptive words written so long ago. How true they still ring in our most inner depths of faith! I can hardly breathe as I think of Jesus hanging on that cross, held up by those wicked nails and topped by a piercing crown of thorns.

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me'," (Matthew 16:24 NIV).

As we walk these last weeks toward the joyous Resurrection Day, we must first hoist up our own crosses and carry them. Following Jesus requires dedication and commitment. We are not without our own wounds, though they may seem petty compared to Jesus' complete sacrifice. Still we must be willing to go to our own cross, if He calls us to do so. This is where we must examine ourselves to see our weaknesses and pray for His strength to carry us forward.

We don't know the day when Jesus will return to us but we are called to walk step by step with Jesus toward that blessed day of His return. May we use these days that lead toward the Christian celebration of Christ's Resurrection (commonly called Easter) to focus on our cross and carry it with conviction and strength of faith. The Cross makes the difference for me!

Carry your cross
all the way to Calvary.

SDG - Glory of God alone

No comments:

Post a Comment