Monday, April 9, 2018

Daddy's Face

It is curious what you claim as a memory when a small child. My parents were in a horrific car accident when I was around 5 years old. I still can visualize standing in our kitchen where the wall phone was and seeing my adult sister answering the phone. I heard or understood something bad had happened. Something very bad. That instant is frozen in my memory. But, even now I don't know the whole story.

It was a terribly rainy night and my parents and another couple were going to a meeting. There was a long curve in a road and Daddy was probably driving too fast for the conditions (because he was late); he crashed the car. All four of them were seriously injured. I don't remember how long they were in the hospital but Mama came home with a neck brace for what I understood was a broken neck - a result of being thrust into the top of the car. She wore the brace for a very long time and suffered pain the rest of her life. Daddy came home later, I think, in a wheelchair with a broken leg and his face wrapped in gauze; his mouth wired shut. His face broke the windshield.

I remember my Daddy's face as a series of remaining scars and stitches that over time became invisible to me. I remember him pulling out wire stitches that would work their way out of the maze of his broken face. Eventually his mouth would be reopened so he could speak. And at some point he began to sing again. It was truly a miracle. I know that God saved my parents and the other couple that night.

It just occurred to me that Daddy has his handsome face back in heaven. The scars will be gone and he will be able to smile as before. I have always been comforted to know that Mama's pain was gone but I believe heaven has restored them both fully. Hallelujah!

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known," (1 Corinthians 14:12 NIV).

What a wonderful day when we see our Savior face to face! I imagine we will be so overwhelmed that we can't take our eyes off our Lord. But, in time - which won't matter in heaven - I imagine we will be rejoined with those we loved here on earth and what a beautiful day that will be.

Thank you, Jesus.

When we close our eyes to this world
we will open them to pure majesty!

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment