Monday, April 16, 2018

Counting My Blessings

Sometimes I just have to start writing until God shows me what my blog topic will be. I was thinking about the snow we received this weekend and it seems like last year we had a really early spring.
Snowy April 15 with a cactus bloom.
Every year is different.

I was also thinking about the women's conference I attended Friday and Saturday and the blessing of worshipping with so many women, hearing powerful testimonials, and Susan Heck's message on the power of committing scripture to memory. I had just accepted that I couldn't memorize scripture, or anything else for that matter, but she gave us some really practical steps to use to help us. She made it seem like even I could memorize, so I just may give it a serious try. The benefits of knowing the Word so well definitely make it worth the effort.

I'm thinking about my grandchildren. How Paige was disappointed that her second rodeo of the season got cancelled because of the wintery weather in Spearfish, SD; how Calvin attended a prom in Ames and will attend his senior year prom next weekend in Gilbert; how Payton spent the weekend working with sheep (is her broken leg healed?); how Bailey has an orchestra concert this week; how Graham loves to spend time with Grandpa when he is working on the farm; and how my sweet Piper is so big and will be in kindergarten next year. My heart just swells when I think of them and I miss them; I love them so much.

Truly, this is a day to pause and count my blessings.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry, He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord," (Psalm 40:1-3 NIV).

My home is warm and my pantry is full; my children and grandchildren are healthy; the snow is adding moisture to the ground that will promote growth and healthiness in the plants and trees; the sun is shining; I love my husband; I have new friends and a new church family; I cherish God's Word and bless the Lord with all my soul. Truly, God has lifted me out of the slimy pit of depression that I was once drowning in. I sing a new song of praise to my God.

"Count your blessings--name them one by one; Count your blessings--see what God has done; Count your blessings--name them one by one; Count your many blessings--see what God has done," (When Upon Life's Billows by Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1897).

God, you have done wondrous things in my life and I lift my voice to praise You! Let me use this day to give you praise for each blessing I count. I am so thankful for Your unending love and mercy. May all I do today bring you glory and honor. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment