Monday, May 21, 2018

Painful Learning

Last week I was finishing up a quilt. I had pinned the whole quilt together while it was stretched on a frame. I removed it from the frame to do the quilting. As I struggled to move the quilt around to put in the stitches that hold it together, I felt like a pin cushion. I got stuck by pins so many times that my hands were covered with red dots where I was pricked. I removed the pins as I sewed up to them.

Eventually, I got to the end and all that were left were the outside pins, placed where the binding would go. I replaced them with large safety pins and what a relief to be able to handle the quilt without getting punctured. I realize now that is probably the reason seasoned quilters use basting to hold the quilt in place, rather than pins. I have so much to learn by experience.

Isn't that the way it is with life? We go through all the stages of learning and some are very painful. Like learning to ride a bike or rollerskating or horseback riding all involve taking some falls. That's why it is a good idea to learn when you are young! Learning to cook may include some incidents with burns or cut fingers; learning to use a hammer may mean some bruised fingers. For many farm kids, that's why we learned to drive in big open pastures where there was no chance of hitting something; did city kids learn in a big empty parking lot?

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope," (Romans 15:4 NIV).

Reading about a topic we want to learn is a great way to learn, too. Sometimes it helps prevent some painful learning injuries; sometimes experience is just a requirement.

With faith, our learning is made easier by access to Scriptures. We can learn so much by studying the Word of God; by reading Scriptures in the Bible. Jesus promises that with Him we are able to find spiritual learning and purpose. His yoke is easy.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light," (Matthew 11: 28-30 NIV).

Jesus' teachings are like elbow pads and helmets,
He softens our falls,
When we take Him into our heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment