Thursday, June 7, 2018

Bucket List

(I had computer issues for two days so I missed Monday's blog - did anyone notice?)

Do you have a bucket list of things you want to do? Mine included visiting the High Trestle Trail and touring the Reiman Gardens in Ames.

When I attended Iowa State University in 1997-1998 the garden was under construction. I rode CyRide from the commuter parking lot to the main campus and passed the area every day, wondering what it would be like.

On Sunday we did both! (I'll discuss Reiman Gardens in another blog.)

East end of the High Trestle Trail near Madrid.
We had seen signs all over Ankeny pointing to the High Trestle Trail and we heard it was near Madrid, but without a bike to ride 20 miles from the Ankeny trailhead it seemed too far to walk. John searched the web and found directions to a parking lot .9 miles from the bridge. We drove to Madrid and found the parking area that led to a trail that connected with the bike path. We made our way on the gravel trail and arrived at the wide concrete bike trail with a flurry of bikers coming from Madrid.

It was extremely windy on Sunday and on the bridge it was like being in a wind tunnel. I felt like my face skin was being altered by the pressure of the gusts. My eyes watered and I struggled to stand up straight. The ends of the bridge were less windy and the rest areas there were much calmer. There are small picnic areas at each end of the bridge and you can continue on 2.5 miles west to Woodward from the bridge, or 2.5 miles to Madrid's Hwy 17. We crossed the bridge and back again, then returned to the parking area. We encountered many bikers and a few other walkers.

View of the High Trestle Bridge from the west.
As I consider my bucket list the only other thing on it is to be like Jesus and have the closest relationship possible with God throughout my life.

"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus," (Acts 4:13 NIV).

I want to be like Peter and John - a visible reflection of Jesus, so people can look at me and know that I've been with Jesus. That's on my bucket list.

What's on your bucket list?

How can I be
Like you, Lord,
For I am not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment