Wednesday, June 13, 2018

I Practice Deceit

We have been enjoying a friendly hummingbird at our feeder this summer. It likes to come early in the morning and late at night. It even came in the middle of a rainstorm on Sunday evening. There are actually two hummingbirds that look quite different. One is an iridescent green and the other is much darker with the pretty iridescence on his feathers.

The hummingbirds drink the red syrupy substance through false flowers and don't seem to mind that I've deceived them. They like to sit on the wires of the tomato cages that are near the feeder. When they sit there they are calm, not fluttering their wings. I hope to get pictures sometime before they are tired of the feeder, but we will see if they cooperate when I'm finally ready to go with my camera.

Perhaps, because I practice this false attraction of hummingbirds, I need to plead for forgiveness of my sins. I hadn't realized what I was doing until this week when it suddenly occurred to me. I know I'm a sinner but this is an evil thing I am doing, attracting birds in a false way, just so I can watch them. Isn't it? I mean, planting flowers for the hummingbirds' enjoyment seems much kinder and more honorable than mixing up some fake red solution. I do plant many flowers for the birds and butterflies to enjoy but it is easier to catch a glimpse of the hummingbirds on our deck than it is down in our flower beds.

Scriptures are pretty clear about defining sin. Romans 1 clearly describes sinners. "They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless." (Romans 1:29-31 NIV).

I am truly remorseful as I consider what I've done. No sin is greater than another. I wasn't aware of my transgression with these pretty birds, but now I am. I will repent and ask God's forgiveness.

What else am I sweeping under the rug with God? Do I think He won't notice? I can't evaluate my life any too often. At every partaking of communion we are called to examine ourselves before we eat of the bread, representative of Christ's body, or drink of the juice representing Christ's blood. (1 Corinthians 11:28-31).

Maybe we shouldn't wait until communion day to truly examine our lives. Today is a good day. Why not check yourself out now?

Purity, honesty, 
A robe of white,
Am I ready to meet you, Worthy Lord?


No comments:

Post a Comment