Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Campfires and Singing

It is the season of summer camps and I have memories of the church camps I attended many, many years ago. For a shy girl, going to camp was traumatic. Especially when I was the only one from our church. I don't remember being homesick but I do remember the struggles of meeting others and feeling alone.

The best parts about church camp were the campfires, singing and studying the Word. I loved studying the Bible and learning. I always felt new insights enlightened me at camp. The time in nature was delightful. Often the camps were located in the woods or near a lake. That was a real treat for me. The fragrance of burning wood still makes me feel close to God, as that is where we would sing songs and pray for one another. The Holy Spirit felt real and present at camp. I learned to open myself to His teachings. We sang,

"Spirit Of God, Descend Upon My Heart," "Wean it from earth thru all its pulses move; stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art, And make me love Thee as I ought to love." Written by George Croly, 1780-1860, yet the song is so current and alive, even today.

We also sang, "Spirit Of the Living God," "fall afresh on me. Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me. Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me." This song was written in 1934 by Daniel Iverson and led at many campsites, I'm sure.

I hadn't really thought about it but our praise and worship teams found in many churches today, are an off-shoot of our camp worship time, without the campfires. Praise and worship teams lead us now to feel closer to God, and to experience His Holy Presence.

I made friends at the camps and several became pen pals as we lived across the state from each other. It didn't always work out that we would attend the same camp the next year, but if we did, we renewed our friendship quickly.

"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe," (Ephesians 1:17-19a NIV).

Lord, speak to us today with Your Holy Spirit. Work in us, use us, fill us with Your love to share. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment