Monday, July 9, 2018

In the Sweet Summertime

Just as God promised, the earth endures and we survived the 2018 deluge. I can't believe it was just one week ago and already our neighbors and we included, are watering lawns. The new developed neighborhoods all have the same problem of clay soil and very little rich ground for the grass and other things to grow from. That is the reason the water runs off instead of soaking in like it should. It's not the way God intended.

"As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease," (Genesis 8:22 NIV).

Summertime was such a wonderful time to enjoy when I was growing up on the farm. I'd awaken to  the rooster crowing and the cool breeze blowing through my open window. The farm fresh air was a delight most days. The fragrance of freshly mown hay was my favorite, but the delightful lilac or honeysuckle blooms were a close second and third.
Split-rail fence at Living History Farms.

As the hot days of July arrive, I remember the sound of water gushing from the windmill hydrant. We only enjoyed that fresh well water a little while before a windstorm damaged it. During future summers it was the farm creek that provided the most fun. I would wade in the cool water, watch the minnows swim in the deep pockets formed by the movement of water around the big rocks I sat on. I would collect pretty stones from beneath the water and return with my treasures. Sometimes I'd find driftwood pieces or occasionally clam shells to carry back. There was a new discovery each time I'd go. The creek was the favorite place to take my friends who visited. Everyone loved the creek.

Sometimes we go 'swimming'. It was really just wading with extra splashing. Everything was great until we would find a shady area to enjoy. Before long we would have leeches on our legs and that would gross out my guests!

Wandering along the creek, under the shade of the trees was a great summer adventure. Only a few times do I remember noticing the heat. The hay mow was another favorite play area, but the heat could be stifling there. A quick ride up and down the long lane on my bike always cooled me off. There was no traffic to worry about; avoiding the sudden dashes of my dog was the only real danger.

Though I sometimes got lonely in the summertime and longed to live in the city where there were friends nearby and exciting things to do, now I'm so thankful for the wonderful farm summers of growing up. They were the best!

Sweet, lazy summers,
memories that last. 
Refreshing as a tall glass of iced tea, 
sweating in Iowa humidity.


No comments:

Post a Comment