Thursday, July 12, 2018

The New Way

I had an Ah-Ha moment yesterday. Until then I could say...never have I ever husked sweet corn in my kitchen. On the farm I'd head to the closest fence and toss the husks over for the pigs or cows or sheep. It was an easy process. No clean up other than picking up a few stray corn leaves. Sometimes the flies or mosquitoes would be a nuisance, but usually there was no problem.

But here I was, with a bag of Ankeny sweet corn and a west-facing garage on a Wednesday afternoon with a feels-like temperature of 100+. I chose the kitchen. The air-conditioned kitchen. Using the trashcan for the husks and hairs, I proceeded to husk a dozen-plus-one ears of beautiful yellow and white kerneled corn.

It never occurred to me that you could husk corn in the house. I learned a new way.

Isn't that what Jesus asks of us when we become believers? To try a new way of doing things. His way.

"...you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator," (Colossians 3:9b-10 NIV).

I want to be that new self. Everyday, in every way.


No comments:

Post a Comment