Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Our Wide Open Expanse

Monday night I sat on the deck watching a storm cloud to our northeast. For probably half an hour I watched the thundercloud at sunset. The highest clouds caught the golden-orange sunlight, while others were shades of pink and gray. I observed the power of the storm brewing as the clouds bubbled up like foamy root beer, getting larger and rounder as they grew. Occasionally, there was a rumble from deep inside and strikes of lightning stretched to the ground. It was an awesome sight. I hoped for rain but the clouds moved steadily to the south, away from us.

I was reminded of the thrill of flying through the clouds and first seeing the clouds up close from an airplane window. I'm still overwhelmed by the beauty of clouds when we fly. I don't think it will ever get old for me.

I think of the stomach-dropping feeling as the plane flies into a cloud and experiences a bit of turbulance. There is power in the clouds.

"Dear, dear Corinthians, I can't tell you how much I long for you to enter this wide-open, spacious life. We didn't fence you in. The smallness you feel comes from within you. Your lives aren't small, but you're living them in a small way. I'm speaking as plainly as I can and with great affection. Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!" (2 Corinthians 6:11-13 MSG).

This scripture captured me yesterday morning from The Message New Testament and it seemed to speak of the cloud images I had absorbed the night before. I can't think of anything more expansive and open than a sky of clouds. I remember noticing how the fronts weather people speak of were so visible from the airplane. There would be a line of clouds, then the clearing would move in and take over the sky. The clouds disappeared until hundreds of miles later a different grouping would move into existence.

God grants us such beauty and greatness. Everywhere we look, we can see His power and might, His creation talent, and His love for us. The world is ours to enjoy and care for. Let us take the time to enjoy all the wonder that exists. As Paul says in Corinthians, he wants us to experience the life God has intended for us. Paul shared his true love for the church in Corinth and begged them to open their hearts.

Next time you see clouds in the sky, whatever shape or color they might be, may you be reminded of God and live life openly and expansively for Him and Him Alone!




No comments:

Post a Comment