Thursday, August 16, 2018

Remember God's Grace

I experienced a miracle this week. I don't believe I'm overstating this, but you can decide. Satan has been tempting me not to share my experience with anyone. But, I was reminded one of our 'next step' activities from Sunday's worship was to write down a list of all the times/ways God has brought me through trials in my life. This blog will address only a few of the ways God was my protector in this one situation.

I am so unworthy of God's grace and I can't explain why I received His protection when others do not. I know that I believe and that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I know He loves me. I know He cares.

"I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds," (Psalm 77:11-12 NIV).

After church Sunday we had lunch and finished up a few tasks before John and I went to the Iowa State Fair to watch our granddaughters compete in the 4-H Sheep Showmanship contest. It was a beautiful hot summer day to spend at the Fair. We made a quick swing through some of our favorite spots, the Varied Industries Building and the main concourse. Then we settled in for a few hours of watching showmanship. It was a great time. No worries or concerns. All was in God's hands.

As soon as I opened the door to the house I remembered. I had put six eggs on to boil at Noon. It was now after 6:30 p.m. My heart sank. I ran into the kitchen to find a mess, but not a kitchen fire. Not egg plastered from ceiling to floor. Nothing that 15 minutes of clean-up wouldn't take care of. I saw the gas burner still on. The small pan was tipped on its side, nearly off the flame. The lid had popped off and was resting on the countertop and egg shells and parts were scattered all over the floor, counter and stove. The  hot eggs must have exploded but in the mildest of manner and the only damage was to the pan and the eggs. A miracle.

We could have come home to a house fire. A home gone. Instead I swept up the floor and wiped up the countertop, put the hot pan in the sink to cool and wiped down a few cabinets that had speckles of yolk decoration. I spent a while cleaning up the stove when it got cool. And spraying air freshener throughout the house to get rid of the burnt egg smell which was nasty.

Besides saving the house or kitchen from damage, God didn't allow me to remember the eggs while we were watching the girls. We were able to enjoy the afternoon. Had I remembered, it would have been a terrible afternoon of rushing home, missing the showmanship, and being angry about what I had done. I am embarrassed and ashamed of myself. I've turned into my grandmother who did the same thing when she was in her late 80's.

I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember Your miracles of yesterday, of Sunday, of long ago. I will meditate on all Your works and consider all Your mighty deeds. (Psalm 77:11-12 NIV paraphrased).

God does miracles even today. Thank you, God. I will remember You always and praise You with thanksgiving in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment