Monday, August 13, 2018

The Greatest Showman

It has been a busy start to Iowa State Fair week and already the grandchildren are making a name for themselves. Maybe it is only in my eyes that my precious ones shine, but that is okay. I'm proud of the hard work and the culmination of years of experience and learning that has brought the grandchildren to this point in time.

Calvin has been showing sheep since he was five years old. He was barely as big as his first show lambs and he wasn't totally convinced that showing sheep was an activity for him. He had watched his sister show for a couple of years and wanted to do what Paige did, but standing next to the lambs when they didn't always cooperate was almost more than he wanted. I only remember one time that there were tears. He was one tough little boy.

When I watched him show last Thursday and Friday in the FFA Sheep Show, I remembered one summer when he just didn't seem to 'get' showing a sheep. His movements didn't seem to work with the sheep and he wasn't getting the results either. There may have been more behind the troubles with showing than what I was aware of. Still, watching the sheer perfection in showing that he exhibited last week, I was in awe of how far he had come. In that 18-year-old head and body was gathered the knowledge and experience to excel. Calvin can create a masterpiece out of a lamb. He knows how to make a lamb do what will make it look its best for the judge. He's developed the patience to wait for the lamb to cooperate, using every skill he has learned over the years.  Calvin received the highest in FFA sheep showmanship awards.

I think this sets the stage for his next chapter in life: college. He can apply the skills of repetitive practice on whatever he studies in the future. The foundation he has already created in the sciences through high school and ISU courses will give him good steady footing for what is ahead. Although I will miss watching his cool attitude in the show ring (very much), I know there will be future bright shining stars for Calvin. He is going to excel at whatever he chooses. He has endured the hardships and he will find his way on the high road.

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus," (Philippians 4:19 NIV).

I put my trust in God for Calvin's future and for all my grandchildren's futures. Already, Payton is blazing her own trail of sheep showmanship. She won the 4-H Intermediate Showmanship competition at the Iowa State Fair on Sunday evening. She has worked very hard to achieve this recognition by showing in countless lamb shows and showmanship contests for many years and her sister Bailey is close on her heels.

God knows the future of my precious grandchildren and I must trust God everyday to be faithful in hearing my prayers and answering them within His will. I'm thankful every day for the gift of grandchildren. I'm so very blessed to know personally the Greatest Showman, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment