Thursday, August 21, 2014

School Days

School has started for most children this fall and I can't help but reflect on the days I started back to school. I remember being anxious and excited at the same time. One year I moved and started school in the middle of the year, in kindergarten. I was very shy and nervous that day but a lovely little girl took me by the hand and became my first friend there. I still remember her standing by me and calming my worries.

Another year I had gotten a cute new wool skirt and sweater set and I wanted to wear it on the first day of school. Mother tried to talk me out of it but I wore it and it was a typical hot September day, I finally understood why I shouldn't wear wool on the first day of school...ugh.

I remember being so excited to get the new textbooks. I wanted to dig in and read the whole book right away. It was a joyful time to be a student. I attended school before the days of backpacks. What on earth did we do without them? Was it because the school supplied most of our paper and pencils? I don't remember having a lot to carry back in my younger school days.

Then, there was the ride on the school bus. Luckily I had the same bus drivers for many years and they were the best. It was always interesting to see who was on my bus route, old friends, or new kids on the miles. Sometimes we had assigned seats but most often we were allowed to sit anywhere as long as we didn't cause trouble. School bus drivers deserve rewards for taking on such a challenging job.

My favorite first days of school came much later in my life, when I returned to attend college as a 40-year-old. It became pure excitement to learn in each new class and for once I had self-confidence in my abilities to learn. What a joy it is to learn. We must never forget that.

"For attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair; for giving prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the young--let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance" (Proverbs 1:2-5 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment