Thursday, February 12, 2015

Valentine Memories

The days of construction paper and doily valentines are gone for me but I remember the years of creating shoebox mailboxes to gather all the classmate valentines during a party at school. It was a highly anticipated day and always lots of fun. Most made homemade valentines but some of the kids would bring store purchased cards and some had candy attached! Those were really special. I longed to give those kind of valentines - yet another hurt connected to not being able to give birthday treats to my classmates because my birthday was during summer vacation. But I digress...

The first Valentine's Day gift from my then fiance, John, was a bright pink and red stuffed animal. Though totally useless it captured my heart and brightened my room for many years. Through the years he has become more and more generous as our budget allowed and I received many beautiful gifts. One year I was feeling a little less loved; he gave me bath towels. For the years I worked John never failed to send beautiful bouquets of roses. My memory fails me regarding what I ever gave John except I know I always included a purchased valentine.

John's parents often gave us heart boxes of candy. But just as special was my mother's homemade heart shaped angelfood cakes with pink frosting or pretty heart shaped sugar cookies with pink frosting. The boys loved them and we did too.

Last night I got to watch my grandson finish his box for valentines at preschool. It was a pink monster box complete with a big mouth (for the valentines) and jiggly eyes and curly eyebrows with a pom pom nose, and lots of valentine stickers; thanks to his very creative mother.

Valentine's Day is a time to share good with others.

"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks" (Luke 7:45 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment