Monday, September 12, 2016

Stories We Remember

I spent the weekend with the camera around my neck capturing moments as my grandchildren practiced their best sheep showing skills. I am often seen with my camera; almost as if it was part of me. I know that the grandchildren probably believed it was part of my body when they were little, because I was always snapping pictures of them. I don't carry it around as much as I used to, especially when I worked at the newspaper and then the college; the camera was a tool that went with me everywhere so I could capture stories in photographs.

During Jesus' time there weren't cameras to document the events of his life. Instead, his disciples and followers took time to tell his story in words. Thankfully, many of his stories were written down and preserved in the Bible where we can reread them and remember.

John is one of the authors who collected stories of Jesus and he presents evidence of Jesus's life to prove that He was the Son of God. But at the end of the book of John, he states there were many stories left untold.

"This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true. Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written" (John 21:24-25 NIV).

Just as Jesus' followers shared their stories, we too, need to share our stories of faith with our youth so they can know, believe, and remember as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment