Thursday, December 8, 2016

Following the Bright Morning Star

"We have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts" (2 Peter 1:19 NIV).

We have a star on the top of our Christmas tree. A glittery silver star sits on the fireplace mantle. There is a star over the top of the stable in most of the nativity sets I have displayed and a cluster of star ornaments help decorate a small Christmas tree in the family room. Most of the Christmas cards I have sent through the years included a star above the shepherds and sheep. I love the drive home from 'midnight' Christmas Eve worship because the stars shine so brightly against the dark sky as we drive through the countryside, reminding me again of that holy night when Jesus was born.

I love to gaze at the stars and fortunately we have an open area behind our back yard that is unencumbered by street lights, making the stars visible. I can pick out a few constellations but mostly I stand in awe of the miracle of God's creation in the night sky. I can visualize what the wise men saw and how the star's extra bright light must have guided them for days, or weeks, or even months as they searched for the king of the Jews.

"Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, 'Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him" (Matthew 2:2 NIV).

A star is a perfect reminder to us of the announcement of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. As you view the decorations of the season, look for the star and hold its light in your heart. Truly Jesus is the Star we follow so closely, especially as we move closer to the celebration of His birth. May you see His reflection in every star this season.

"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star" (Revelation 22:16 NIV).



No comments:

Post a Comment