Thursday, October 17, 2024

Goal Setting

When I forget how old I am, I often think like I did when I was younger. I don't know how many years are ahead in my life, but I still set goals. They aren't big lofty goals; often my goals are just to get through the day. 

I read a book by Mark Batterson, "Win the Day," that was full of encouragement toward setting a goal and working toward your dream every day. I may be too old to dream but I think it is good to have goals. One of my goals is to bring glory to God with all that I do. It is perhaps a lofty goal, but it is something I strive for everyday. Some days I am an utter failure. But, I keep striving.

Mark Batterson said, "Show me the size of your dream and I'll show you the size of your God."

The Bible is also full of encouragement toward setting goals in life. Hebrews 11 is filled with evidence of how having faith combines assurance and anticipation of what God can do. My Life Application Bible commentary says, "When we believe that God will fulfill his promises even though we don't see those promises materializing yet, we demonstrate true faith (see John 20:24-31)".

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus," (Philippians 3:13b-14 NIV). 

That is my ultimate goal in life - to be called "heavenward in Christ Jesus". 

Dear God, hear our prayers today and lift us up with the assurance of Your promises. We come to You with our dreams and goals, confident that You can do anything. Help us achieve our goals with Your guidance. We know You are big, God. Really big! We are thankful that we can trust in You always. In Jesus' Holy Name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment