"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline," (2 Timothy 1:7 NIV).
This verse always catches my eye because I am a rather shy or timid person. But this verse tells me I should not be timid because the Holy Spirit is in me giving me power, love, and self-discipline. So why do I forget this when I face meeting someone new or especially a group of people I don't know? Instead, I let my feelings of fear and selfishness take control of my actions.
I have been shy forever. I remember hiding behind my mother's dresses when I was young. And turning beet-red in the face whenever an adult talked to me. I don't know why I am that way, but even now as an adult believer, I struggle to put the Holy Spirit's power and self-discipline to work.
Paul's letters to Timothy are a wealth of instruction for new Christians and old ones alike. He tells us to "be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus," (2 Timothy 2:1 NIV). Look at the gifts we receive when we accept Jesus as our Savior, and are filled with the Holy Spirit!
Heavenly Father, help me in my timidity. Remind me that You are alive in me, giving me the spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. Thank You for sending Your Son to die on the cross for our sins. Forgive me for hiding my faith behind others, instead of speaking up with His strength to do the work You have for me to do. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.
To God be the glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment