Monday, June 30, 2014

Storm watching

Iowa has been in the midst of its monsoon season for a couple of weeks, it seems. It came with black skies, thunderous echoing and sharp strikes of lightning. The weather radio signals have become commonplace and the weatherman saves us from the summer reruns. We're warned to remain alert for rapidly changing weather conditions. The evenings of strong winds, hail knocking on the sky lights and rain-swollen creeks remind us God is in control.

Last night our prayers were focused on areas north of us as a strong cell moved across the countryside. All you can do is take shelter and pray, for God's power is so much greater than our own. How often do we struggle on our own, trying to fix a situation or use our own strength to make a change? Yet the power we need is only a prayer away.

Once we moved out of a mobile home, my family began to anticipate the big storm with excitement. I remember the boys telling of standing at our big windows watching trees bend and fall all around the house, while John and I were away at work. I obviously didn't do my mothering job very well when it came to safety plans. The basement, boys, go to the basement!

We've been so fortunate to have escaped the real devastation of an Iowa tornado but we have experienced the force of straight line winds. Either way I'm thankful that God has the power to bring good from the most destructive elements of nature. And I'm thankful I have my God to call out to in all the storms of life.

"My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."
(1 Corinthians 2:4-5 NIV).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for helping me remember who is in control through all the storms! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete