Monday, September 8, 2014

A Pitcher Collection

I have a pitcher collection. It's my grandmother Springer's fault. She had a collection of her own when I was a child and I'm quite sure they were 'hands off'. I admired them greatly for their beautiful differences and eventually I received one as an heirloom to treasure. It happened that I also received a pitcher from my maternal grandmother and thus began my collection. Though neither of these original pitchers were blue, I decided to collect blue pitchers. I began with small handmade pottery pitchers and later, when  I could afford it, the pitchers became larger.

There are about 30 pitchers of various sizes, shapes and shades of blue. Most are pottery with painted accents of blue including stars, hearts, circles, sheep, and vines. There is a blue tin coffee pot and a matching set of blue and white pitchers from a dollar store. Some were gifts and some are memorabilia from a place we traveled to. The shame is I don't use them as pitchers. Most sit atop my kitchen cabinets getting washed about twice a year. There are flowers in a few but most sit empty.

I love my pitchers; not so much that I couldn't live without them but they bring me joy because they are unique and pretty.  They are reminders of how blessed I am and I should pause everyday and thank God for filling my life with His blessings, even the blessing of pitchers. What in your house reminds you of God's blessings?

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it" (Malachi 3:10 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment