Thursday, November 20, 2014

More Snow Stories

After I blogged about our little coating of snow I became aware of what was happening in Buffalo and Cheektowaga, New York, and I feel very foolish. In case you haven't heard they are getting lake-effect snow at 2-3 inches an hour. The last I heard yesterday they had over 80 inches and it was still snowing and blowing, creating a record setting snowstorm.

I can't even imagine how you deal with that kind of snow. You can't throw a shovel-full high enough to get over the piles. People must be stuck in their homes. It's a dangerous situation. I'm praying for my friend Jeanette and hoping she is rescued soon.

One of the only really big Iowa storms I can remember was in April of 1973. It was fence post to fence post in our lane  and we had to wait for big equipment to come dig us out. There was another big winter storm that affected us for many days when I was younger. My sister and I had to walk on top of the snow to get to the school bus. Another time daddy prepared a lovely carriage ride for us and drove through the field to take us to the hard surface road. The carriage was a manure spreader with straw bales for our seats. It got us where we needed to go but we were very humbled by the experience.

Weather is one example of God's control and power in nature. Jesus responded to the religious leaders when they challenged him to show them a sign from heaven.  "When evening comes, you say, 'It will be fair weather for the sky is red' and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times" (Matthew 16:2-3 NIV).

Our weathermen and women try to give us a forecast everyday but only God is in control of nature. Let us remember to thank Him for the sunshine and the storm as it's a reminder our Heavenly Father is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment