Thursday, December 11, 2014

What to do about gray days

Part of my depression involves seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and the past week has been exceedingly gray. SAD (such an appropriate acronym) is common this time of year and I have a light therapy box to use, but with my office in disarray I haven't set it up yet.  Just as the clouds block the sunlight, my life seems blocked from joy. I could hide under the bedcovers or turn on all the lights in the house but they don't change the heaviness that's hanging around outside.

One of the best ways I've found to get through a gray day is to turn on music; Christmas music this time of year. That always help me be distracted from the gloomy setting outside. It's the songs of praise and worship that turn my attitude when nothing else will. The scriptures heard in the words of music help brighten the day with rays of light.

Reading scriptures is another good way to fight the drabness outside by bringing the good news and its light inside. Visualizing Jesus' face brings brilliance to any room. Hearing his words of promise and hope helps break the day's anguish and despair.

"Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears let him hear" (Matthew 13:43 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment