Monday, October 5, 2015

Closet Cleaning Time

Twice a year I make time to reorganize my clothes closet, packing away the out of season apparel and bringing out the comfortable stuff. I usually wait until I'm desperate for something to wear but this time I took advantage of a quiet day and approached the task. I really had two goals this year: find what fits and what is warm. I loaded up five bags of too big clothes and took them to Goodwill. I have too many clothes, the fault of working for twelve years in professional wear that I only use now for church or special occasions. It was time to thin things out.

It is always fun to discover that favorite piece I haven't seen for six months and pull it out where I will see it. I can't quite imagine what it would be like to live somewhere warm all year round and never have to pull out the winter clothes. That might get boring. I forget what I have packed away until I reveal the surprises. I found sweaters and jackets that will be a welcome warmth this fall and winter. Some things have hung in my closet for 20 years but they are still good and are favorites when they fit!

It is also a good time of year to refresh my personal worship time. Sometimes I slack off and let other tasks budge into my quiet time with God. I appreciate having Bible studies and spiritual assignments that help me stay on task, helping me grow in excitement in the Word and want to dig deeper in the scriptures. Life is always so much better when I'm immersed in God's Word. Studying the scriptures makes it easier to know God and to walk closely with Him. I discover new things about God that I hadn't picked up on before and my love for God grows deeper and more precious.

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him - but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit" (1 Corinthians 2:9-10 NIV).

May God reveal those hidden treasures of wisdom to us anew this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment