Monday, February 15, 2016

A Morning Valentine

Looking out my windows this morning I see an icy landscape that reminds me of a lacy valentine. God has put his touch on all the trees and bushes giving them a delicate trim of white. After a few inches of snow yesterday and some drifting from a new direction, the ground is again dressed in a fresh white winter coat.

The view reminds me of making valentines out of doilies and red construction paper and creating decorated shoeboxes to use as mailboxes in my elementary school days. Do children still do this to celebrate Valentine's Day? I'll have to check with daughter-in-law Laura to find out the latest trends. She hosted Graham's preschool party last week and I know she made it special for them.

I didn't even send valentines to my grandchildren this year. I missed the boat with my sisters, too. I'm not sure what happened except that February arrived and moved forward a little too fast for me.

I can remember getting boxes of valentines for the boys to distribute during their special parties at school. I'm not sure boys really get into valentines like girls do. I do remember them coming home with their 'mailboxes' and blushing as they showed a few of the special ones to me. The biggest hit were those that included candy treats inside.

My Mama always made special valentine food to celebrate the holiday. She often baked mini angelfood cake hearts that she would frost with pink icing and give to family members, especially the grandchildren. She had heart shaped cake pans that she used, too. She had such a giving heart and her home baked goodies were wonderful gifts. Those treasures still bless me even in my memories.

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound" (Psalm 4:7 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment