Monday, April 24, 2017

Depending On The Holy Spirit

I have always been a word person, not a numbers person. I am capable of balancing our checkbook each month and paying the bills, but don't make me help my grandchildren with their math problems. I had a great math instructor in high school and I actually grew to enjoy my classes thanks to Mr. Nichols. Then when I went to college when I was 40 I started with the most basic class and worked my way back up to complete my college requirements. I did well but I worked at it.

One of John's favorite things to do in retirement is check the stock market and read financial commentaries. I prefer the 'what you don't know won't hurt you' method. At the end of the day he just loves to let me know what our retirement fund did that day. His retirement funds are in moderate risk funds and mine are designated to 'safe' investments so we have a balanced portfolio. Thus on good stock market days John gloats about the money he made and gives me a hard time about my puny account. That is fine; I just try to focus on the bigger picture, 10 or 20 years down the road and hopefully there will be enough money for John to pay for my nursing home.

When I struggled with math in college it never occurred to me to pray for God's guidance and wisdom. I just figured I needed to tough it out on my own. I did pray, quite often, to be able to remember information for a test, because I could easily go blank when I stared at the questions on a piece of paper. God got me through those tests and I would praise Him all the way from Ames to home. He never failed me.

So why don't I turn to God for everything in my life? How much better would this life be if I started each morning by asking God to be in my every action, every thought, and every decision I had to make! Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to be our constant companion in life.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you for ever-- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you," (John 14:15-17 NIV).

I wish I had understood this when I was younger. I made so many decisions without consulting God or calling upon the Holy Spirit to assist me. What a different life I might have had. But in spite of my mistakes and wrong turns, God has remained beside me, watching me stumble and fall and helping me get back up. Truly God has been patient with me, even now he waits for me to seek the wisdom and guidance the Holy Spirit has to offer.

"Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call,"" (Acts 2:38-39 NIV).

It is never too late to turn to God and accept the Holy Spirit as your Helper. God is waiting for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment