Thursday, November 22, 2018

Giving Thanks

"I thank my God every time I remember you," (Philippians 1:3 NIV).

Thanksgiving Day makes my heart ache for those we miss around the table. And I know your hearts also ache for those you have lost. Their seats are now filled by someone else, perhaps a grandchild, or there is one less chair at the table. My heart breaks for those who are grieving during this season. I remember how difficult it was the first year after my mother died or when my daddy was also gone.

Thanksgiving is about being thankful and one of the most wonderful blessings in life is the people we share our life with...family. Although there is a turkey to put in the oven and a table to set, I want to take time to remember the blessings of family, especially today.
Thanksgiving 2017

I remember the wonderful Thanksgivings we shared around my parents' dining room table. It was massive; though I now forget how many places we could fit around it. We often had the kitchen table and extra tables in the 'front room' to seat the overflow crowd of family. It was always a blessed day of laughter and even a few tears, and oh, so much good food. There was a barnyard full of cars most of the day, and it makes me smile when I think about it. No matter the weather, family members would venture outside after the big meal to wander the farm grounds, check out the barn, visit with the animals or join in a game of football.  It was sad to see it come to an end when family began to leave for home.

No matter how I try, I can't quite recreate the wonder of those Thanksgivings of home. Some of the same recipes are being used but now my family fills the seats at our table. What a blessing it is! I'm so thankful today for the blessing of family, those gone, those far away, those around my table.

May God remind you today of all the family blessings in your life, past and present. May your day be filled with laughter and a few tears. May your day be memorable, one that you cherish for many years to come.

"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all believers--the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel that has come to you," (Colossians 1:3-6 NIV).

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment